Komal R. Thakre, V. V. Paithnakar, J. V. Vyas, A. M. Wankhade,
Komal R. Thakre, Dr. V. V. Paithnakar, Mr. J. V. Vyas, Dr. A. M. Wankhade,
Department of Pharmacology, Vidyabharti Collage of Pharmacy Amravati, Maharastra, 444602, India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2023
The purpose of this review is to highlight the findings of research on immunomodulatory activity of eulophia nuda tubers. Taxonomically, the genus Eulophia and the genus Dioscorea are represented in Amarkand. Pharmacologically, this plant has cytotoxic, antioxidant, antiglycation, and DNA protective activities. The selection of papers was made using the most relevant databases for the pharmacological activity on the basis of their phytochemical constituents. The review also goes over different in-vitro assay techniques and animal study conformation. The effect of Eulophia nuda extracts on the release of mediators such as nitric oxide (NO), superoxide, lysosomal enzyme, and myeloperoxidase activity of isolated murine peritoneal macrophages was studied at different doses. Eulophia nuda extracts were tested biochemically, hematologically, serologically, and histopathologically. The effect of eulophia nuda extracts on delayed-type hypersensitivity (DTH), serum antibody response, and cyclophosphamide-induced myelosuppression in Swiss albino mice was studied. The current work reviews the histopathological, biological, and statistical analysis of eulophia nuda extract on animal models.
Cite this article:
Komal R. Thakre, V. V. Paithnakar, J. V. Vyas, A. M. Wankhade. A Review on Eulophia nuda Immunomodulatory activity in Peritoneal macrophages and an assessment of its in-vivo activity in mice. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2023; 13(2):114-8. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2023.00023
Komal R. Thakre, V. V. Paithnakar, J. V. Vyas, A. M. Wankhade. A Review on Eulophia nuda Immunomodulatory activity in Peritoneal macrophages and an assessment of its in-vivo activity in mice. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2023; 13(2):114-8. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2023.00023 Available on: https://asianjpr.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-13-2-9
1. Dhara Bhatt, Khushboo Jethva and Maitreyi Zaveri, phytopharmacognostical study of tubers of eulophia nuda lind, International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, 2020; Vol. 11(7): Page no. 3483-3488.
2. Sonal Hada, Dinesh Kumar Yadav, Priyanka Roat and Neetu Kumari, Eulophia Nuda: A Review of Its Traditional Uses, Phytochemistry and Pharmacology, Pharmaceutical Chemistry Journal, Apr. 2020, Vol. 54, Issue 1.
3. Vikas Nanekar, Varsha Shriram and Vinay kumar, screening of secondary metabolites of eulophia nuda lindl., hptlc profiling, and detection of antioxidant compounds using TLC, Journal of Emerging Technologies and Innovative Research, May 2019, Volume 6, Issue 5, Page no. 279-282.
4. Michele Catanzaro, Emanuela Corsini 2, Michela Rosini, Marco Racchi and Cristina Lanni, Immunomodulators Inspired by Nature: A Review on Curcumin and Echinacea, Molecules 2018, 23, 2778.
5. Carsons SE, Issues Related to Clinical Trials of Oral and Biologic Disease-Modifying Agents for Sjögren's Syndrome. Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 2008;34:1011–23.
6. Efloraofindia, available on https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/species/mz/o/orchidaceae/eulophia/eulophia-spectabilis
7. Sankara Rao, K., Arun Singh R., Deepak Kumar, Raja K Swamy and Navendu Page (2016). Digital Flora of Eastern Ghats, available on http://easternghats.ces.iisc.ernet.in/plants.php?name=Eulophia nuda. lucidum mejora la condición física en mujeres con fibromyalgia.
8. VR Dawande and RV Gurav, Qualitative analysis of phytochemical in Eulophia nuda using LCMS, Journal of Medicinal Plants Studies 2021; 9(3): Page no. 136-140.
9. Vanita Kanase, Diptesh T. Patil, evaluation of in vitro immunomodulatory activity of aqueous and ethanolic extract of eulophia nuda lind, Asian Journal of pharmaceutical clinical research, Vol 11, Issue 11, 2018, Page no. 352-356.
10. Choi CY, Kim JY, Kim YS, Chung YC, Hahm KS, Jeong HG, et al. Augmentation of macrophage functions by an aqueous extract isolated from Platycodon grandiflorum. Cancer Lett 2001;166:17-25.
11. Xia Zhang, Ricardo Goncalves and David M. Mosser, The Isolation and Characterization of Murine Macrophages, Curr Protoc Immunol. 2008 November ; CHAPTER: Unit–14.1.
12. Manosroi A, Saraphanchotiwitthaya A, Manosroi J. Effects of Pouteria cambodiana extracts on in vitro immunomodulatory activity of mouse immune system. Fitoterapia 2006;77:189-93.
13. Wan Abdul Wahab, Wan-Nor-Amilah, Mohd Latif Syifaa’ Liyana, Yahya Azlina, Zainuddin Shafizol, and Asma Abdullah Nurul, In Vitro Immunomodulatory Activity of Aqueous Quercus infectoria Gall Extract, Oman Med Journal. 2021 May; 36(3).
14. Choi EM, Hwang JK. Effects of methanolic extract and fractions from Litsea cubeba bark on the production of inflammatory mediators in RAW264.7 cells. Fitoterapia 2004;75:141-8.
15. Sanjeev Heroor, Arun Kumar Beknal, and Nitin Mahurkar, Immunomodulatory activity of methanolic extracts of fruits and bark of Ficus glomerata Roxb. in mice and on human neutrophils, Indian J Pharmacology, 2013 Mar-Apr; 45(2): Page no. 130–135.
16. Abhishek S. Shah &Archana R. Juvekar, In vitro and in vivo immunostimulatory activity of Woodfordia fruticosa flowers on non-specific immunity, Pharmaceutical biology, 2010, Page no. 1066-1072.
17. Tiwari U, Rastogi B, Singh P, Saraf DK, Vyas SP. Immunomodulatory effects of aqueous extract of Tridax procumbens in experimental animals. J Ethnopharmacol 2004;92: Page no. 9-113.
18. Vanita Kanase, Diptesh T Patil, evaluation of in vivo immunomodulatory activity of aqueous and ethanolic extract of eulophia nuda, Asian Journal of pharmaceutical clinical research, Vol 11, Issue 12, 2018, Page no. 374-379.
19. Test Guideline No. 425, Acute Oral Toxicity: Up-and-Down Procedure, 425 Adopted:16 October 2008 Corrected: 30 June 2022(caging, parag. 17).
20. K Melby, T Tonjum, F Skjorten, Detection of serum antibody response in patients infected with one strain of Campylobacter jejuni with a DIG-ELISA method, NIPH Ann, 1986 Dec;9(2): Page no. 51-60.
21. Popov S, Golovchenko V, Ovodova R, Smirnov V, Khramova D, Popova G, et al. Characterisation of the oral adjuvant effect of lemnan, a pectic polysaccharide of Lemna minor L. Vaccine 2006;24:5413-9.
22. Wei Wang, Dong Luo, Junlin Chen, Jinyun Chen, Yi Xia, Wenzhi Chen, and Yan Wang, Amelioration of cyclophosphamide-induced myelosuppression during treatment to rats with breast cancer through low-intensity pulsed ultrasound, Biosci Rep. 2020 Sep 30.
23. Ghule B, Murugananthan G, Nakhat P, Yeole P. Immunostimulant effects of Capparis zeylanica Linn. leaves. J Ethnopharmacology 2006;108:311-5
24. A. N. Narkhede, P. S. Nirmal, B. E. Nagarkar, E. A. Singh, A. M. Harsulkar And S. D. Jagtap, Validation of the Immunomodultory Potential of Amarkand Species, Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Received 02 August 2016, 79(6): Page no. 965-973.
25. Vikram V Nimbalkar, Urmila E Kadu, Ravina P Shelke, Suvarna A Shendge, etal, evaluation of immunomodulatory activity of diosgenin in rats, International Journal of Clinical and Biomedical Research, 2018;4(3): Page no. 70-75.
26. Mahesh S. Sahu, Prashant Y. Mali, Shekhar B. Waikar and Vinod D. Rangari, Evaluation of immunomodulatory potential of ethanolic extract of Roscoea procera rhizomes in mice, Journal Pharmacy and Bioallied Sci. 2010 Oct-Dec; 2(4): Page no.346–349.
27. Annie George, Sasikala Chinnappan, Yogendra Choudhary, Praveen Bommu, Murthy Sridhar, Immunomodulatory activity of an aqueous extract of Polygonum minus Hudson Swiss albino mice using carbon clearance assay, Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Disease, Page no. 398-400.
28. Yuliet Susant, Rifda Nurfajar, Sindia Khildah Khaerati, Vienna Saraswaty, Immunomodulatory activity of Pepolo (Bischofia javanica Blume) stem bark ethanolic extract in Staphylococcus aureus-stimulated macrophages and anticancer activity against MCF-7 cancer cells, Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science Vol. 12(10), October, 2022, page no.109-116.
29. Chawla R. Practical clinical Biochemistry: Methods and Interpretations. 3rd ed. New Delhi: Jaypee brothers Medical Publishers; 2003.Page no. 136-41.
30. Eva Ostertagova, Oskar Ostertag, Methodology and Application of One-way ANOVA, American Journal of Mechanical Engineering, 2013, Vol. 1, No. 7, Page no. 256-261.
31. Brooks, G. P. and Johanson, G. A. (2011) Sample size considerations for multiple comparison procedures in ANOVA. Journal of Modern Applied Statistical Methods. Vol. 10, No. 1, Page no. 97-109.
32. O’Brien RG (1979) A general ANOVA method for robust tests of additive models for variances. J Am Stat Assoc 74: Page no. 877–880