Acute toxicity study describes the adverse effects of a substance that result either from a single exposure or from multiple exposures in a short period of time. Whenever an investigator administered a chemical substance or herbal drug to a biological system different types of interactions can occur and a series of dose-related responses result. In most cases these responses are desired and useful, but there are a number of other effects which are not advantageous. These may or may not be harmful to the patient. Acute toxicity study is involved in estimation of LD50. Also it determines the therapeutic index i.e ratio between the lethal dose and the pharmacologically effective dose in the same strain and species. This article Review the methods so for utilized for the determination of acute toxicity.
Cite this article:
Tanuja Yadav, Sachin Rohane. Acute Toxicity study of Synthesized drug and Herbal Product. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2021; 11(4):251-6. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2021.00044
Tanuja Yadav, Sachin Rohane. Acute Toxicity study of Synthesized drug and Herbal Product. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2021; 11(4):251-6. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2021.00044 Available on: https://asianjpr.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-11-4-6
1. Enegide Chinedu, David Arome, Fidelis Solomon Ameh. A new method for determining acute toxicity in animal models on wolters kluwer health.
2. Vijaya Chavan Lobo, Anita Phatak, Naresh Chandra. Acute Toxicity Studies of Some Indian Medicinal Plants in Pharmacognosy Journal- May 2010.
3. Earnest Oghenesuvwe Erhirhie, Chibueze Peter Ihekwereme, and Emmanuer Emekallodigwe. Advances in acute toxicity testing: strengths, weakness and regulatory acceptance in Interdiscip Toxicol, 2018 May.
4. OECD Series on Testing and Assessment, Number 24. Guidance Document on Acute Oral Toxicity Testing.
5. Sperling F. Introduction to toxicity evaluation session. Environ Health Perspect 1979;32:259.
6. Walum E. Acute oral toxicity. Environ Health Perspect 1998;106Suppl 2:497-503.
7. AkhilaJs, Deepa S, Alwar MC. Acute toxicity Studiesand determination of median lethal dose. Currsci 2007;93:917-20.
8. Lorke D.A new approach to practical acute toxicity testing. Arch Toxical 1983;54:275-87
9. Bruce RD. An up-and-down procedure for acute toxicity testing. Fundam Appl Toxicol 1985;5:151-7
10. Pingale SS. Acute toxicity study for centellaasiatica whole plant power. Newsletter,Pharmacologyonline 3:80:84,2008.
11. Kapoor LD. Handbook of Ayurvedic Medicinal Plants.p.321.CRC Press. Boca Raton U.S.A.1990.
12. Sheth AK. Moringaoleifera. The Herbs of Ayurveda. Vol III 275:776,2005.
13. Rohane S.H., Makwana A.G., 2017. A Review on Hydrazone, the fascinating field of investigation in medicinal chemistry. Asian J. Res. Chem. 10, 417-30.
14. Rohane S.H., Makwana A.G., 2019. In silico study for the prediction of multiple pharmacological activities of novel hydrazone derivatives. Ind J. Chem. Sec-B. 58, 387-402.
15. Rohane S.H., Makwana A.G., 2020. Synthesis and in vitro antimycobacterial potential of novel hydrazones of eugenol. Arab J. Chem. 13, 4495–4504.
16. OECD (2001) Acute oral toxicity. OECD 420 Guideline for testing of chemicals. Page no 1-14.
17. OECD (2001) Acute oral toxicity. OECD 423 Guideline for testing of chemicals. Page no 1-26.
18. OECD (1998) Acute oral toxicity. OECD 425 Guideline for testing of chemicals. Page no 1-8.