Sweta, Archana Chaudhary, Vinay Pandit, M. S. Ashawat, Tarun Kumar
Sweta1*, Archana Chaudhary2, Vinay Pandit3, M. S. Ashawat4, Tarun Kumar5
1Research Scholar, Laureate Institute of Pharmacy, Kathog, Jawalamukhi, Himachal Pradesh, 176031, India.
2Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmaceutics, Laureate Institute of Pharmacy, Kathog, Jawalamukhi, Himachal Pradesh, 176031, India.
3Head of Department, Department of Pharmaceutics, Laureate Institute of Pharmacy, Kathog, Jawalamukhi, Himachal Pradesh, 176031, India.
4Director cum Principal, Laureate Institute of Pharmacy, Kathog, Jawalamukhi, Himachal Pradesh 176031.
5Assistant Professor, Laureate Institute of Pharmacy, Jawalmukhi - 176031, Himachal Pradesh, India.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2022
Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic inflammatory illness characterized by joint stiffness, bone and cartilage destruction, and swelling above the joints. The condition is linked to chemicals found within the major histocompatibility complex, also as T-cells that are hooked in to them. The condition is more severe in women than in men, also as within the elderly population. The effects of gender on the clinical course of the disease are studied, but the results are mixed. The factor like genetic, environmental, smoking, and age of a person were trigger’s the rheumatoid arthritis. The other clinical complications were observed in patients with rheumatoid arthritis which includes depression, infection, malignancy, cardiovascular disorder, pulmonary disease etc. According to research, RA risk might be impacted by a genetic predisposition, environmental factors, or a combination of both. Immune cells such as lymphocytes, neutrophils, and macrophages have long been thought to have a role in the development of RA involved in pathological mechanism. Rheumatoid arthritis have been diagnosed by imaging with colour doppler sonography or gadolinium-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging can detect the presence of osynovitis, and serologic testing for auto-antibodies and APRs was required to diagnose rheumatoid arthritis. To cure and prevent the patients form rheumatoid arthritis it is very necessary to take suitable treatment. So, in present work we also highlighted the available drugs used for the treatment of RA. The first line therapy agents include Non-steroidalantiinflammatory drugs, and corticosteroids. The second line agents used in RA are Disease modifying Antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs). The patients having age more than 60 years also need surgery to cure rheumatoid arthritis. To decrease the side effects from some potent agents include methotrexate the vitamin D, folic acid, and dietary supplements were used with treatment. So, this review article helps the researcher’s to understand the basic overview of rheumatoid arthritis, causes, other disease development, and management process with regards to available FDA approved therapeutics, and published patents.
Cite this article:
Sweta, Archana Chaudhary, Vinay Pandit, M. S. Ashawat, Tarun Kumar. Rheumatoid Arthritis, A Laconic Review to understand their Basic Concept and Management Process. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2022; 12(4):312-2. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2022.00051
Sweta, Archana Chaudhary, Vinay Pandit, M. S. Ashawat, Tarun Kumar. Rheumatoid Arthritis, A Laconic Review to understand their Basic Concept and Management Process. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2022; 12(4):312-2. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2022.00051 Available on: https://asianjpr.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-4-10
1. Aloke C, Ibiam UA, Orji OU, Ugwuja EI, Ezeani NN, Aja PM, Obasi NA. Anti-arthritic potentials of ethanol and aqueous extracts of stem bark of Cleistopholis patens on complete Freund's adjuvant-induced rheumatoid arthritis in rats. Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine. 2019:9.
2. Girdler SJ, Ye I, Tang R, Kirschner N. Altering the natural history of rheumatoid arthritis: The role of Immunotherapy and biologics in orthopaedic care. Journal of Orthopaedics. 2020; 17:17-21.
3. Esposito AJ, Chu SG, Madan R, Doyle TJ, Dellaripa PF. Thoracic manifestations of rheumatoid arthritis. Clinics in Chest Medicine. 2019;40(3):545-60.
4. Jayashree S, Nirekshana K, Guha G, Bhakta-Guha D. Cancer chemotherapeutics in rheumatoid arthritis: A convoluted connection. Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy. 2018; 102:894-911.
5. Arjun Patidar, S.C.Shivhare, Umesh Ateneriya, Sonu Choudhary. A Comprehensive Review on Breast Cancer. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 2(1): Jan.-March 2012; Page 28-32.
6. Tanaka S. Emerging anti-osteoclast therapy for rheumatoid arthritis. Journal of Orthopaedic Science. 2018;23(5):717-21.
7. Wang X, Fang G, Yang Y, Pang Y. The newly discovered natural compounds against rheumatoid arthritis-an overview. Phytochemistry Letters. 2019; 34:50-8.
8. Rekha Rani Nar, Ashok Kumar, S. Jeeva. Assessment and comparison of knowledge and attitude regarding pulmonary tuberculosis and compliance to Anti-Tuberculosis Treatment (ATT) of pulmonary tuberculosis patients under intensive and continuation phase of treatment at selected DOTS centers of Ambala, Haryana. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 2(4): Oct-Dec. 2012; Page 190-194.
9. Martins P, Fonseca JE. How to investigate: Pre-clinical rheumatoid arthritis. Best Practice and Research Clinical Rheumatology. 2019;33(4):101438.
10. Alpízar-Rodríguez D, Pluchino N, Canny G, Gabay C, Finckh A. The role of female hormonal factors in the development of rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology. 2017;56(8):1254-63.
11. Ramachandra. Hypochondria - Historical Perspectives, Diagnosis and Management. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 3(4): Oct.- Dec., 2013; Page 219-223.
12. Chang K, Yang SM, Kim SH, Han KH, Park SJ, Shin JI. Smoking and rheumatoid arthritis. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2014;15(12):22279-95.
13. Margaretten M, Julian L, Katz P, Yelin E. Depression in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: description, causes and mechanisms. International Journal of Clinical Rheumatology. 2011;6(6):617.
14. Atzeni F, Masala IF, Di Franco M, Sarzi-Puttini P. Infections in rheumatoid arthritis. Current Opinion in Rheumatology. 2017;29(4):323-30.
15. Neethu Jose. Bee Venom Therapy (BVT). Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 5(2): April-June 2015; Page 293-296.
16. Ellman P, Ball RE. “Rheumatoid disease” with joint and pulmonary manifestations. British Medical Journal. 1948;2(4583):816.
17. Esposito AJ, Chu SG, Madan R, Doyle TJ, Dellaripa PF. Thoracic manifestations of rheumatoid arthritis. Clinics in Chest Medicine. 2019;40(3):545-60.
18. Choy E, Ganeshalingam K, Semb AG, Szekanecz Z, Nurmohamed M. Cardiovascular risk in rheumatoid arthritis: recent advances in the understanding of the pivotal role of inflammation, risk predictors and the impact of treatment. Rheumatology. 2014;53(12):2143-54.
19. Nirmala Jyothi. A Case Report on Pica: A rare pregnancy related complication. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 5(1): Jan.-March 2015; Page137-139.
20. Węgierska M, Dura M, Blumfield E, Żuchowski P, Waszczak M, Jeka S. Osteoporosis diagnostics in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Reumatologia. 2016;54(1):29.
21. Huber LC, Distler O, Tarner I, Gay RE, Gay S, Pap T. Synovial fibroblasts: key players in rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology. 2006;45(6):669-75.
22. Choy E. Understanding the dynamics: pathways involved in the pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology. 2012;51(suppl_5): v3-11.
23. Byng-Maddick R, Ehrenstein MR. The impact of biological therapy on regulatory T cells in rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology. 2015;54(5):768-75.
24. Jophin Joseph. Pierre Robin Sequence / Pierre Robin malformation. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2016; 6(2): 265-273.
25. Tran CN, Lundy SK, Fox DA. Synovial biology and T cells in rheumatoid arthritis. Pathophysiology. 2005;12(3):183-9.
26. Bugatti S, Vitolo B, Caporali R, Montecucco C, Manzo A. B cells in rheumatoid arthritis: from pathogenic players to disease biomarkers. BioMed Research International. 2014.
27. Kekow J, Koczan D, Drynda S, Drynda A, Thiesen H. Modulation of the gene expression pattern in peripheral blood mononuclear cells by biologicals in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2003;5(3):1-54.
28. Boissier MC, Semerano L, Challal S, Saidenberg-Kermanac'h N, Falgarone G. Rheumatoid arthritis: from autoimmunity to synovitis and joint destruction. Journal of Autoimmunity. 2012;39(3):222-8.
29. Aletaha D, Neogi T, Silman AJ, Funovits J, Felson DT, Bingham CO, Birnbaum NS, Burmester GR, Bykerk VP, Cohen MD, Combe B. American College of Rheumatology, European League Against Rheumatism, et al: Rheumatoid arthritis classification criteria: an American College of Rheumatology/European League Against Rheumatism collaborative initiative. Arthritis Rheum. 2010; 62:2569-81.
30. Radner H, Neogi T, Smolen JS, Aletaha D. Performance of the 2010 ACR/EULAR classification criteria for rheumatoid arthritis: a systematic literature review. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. 2014;73(1):114-23.
31. Aggarwal R, Ringold S, Khanna D, Neogi T, Johnson SR, Miller A, Brunner HI, Ogawa R, Felson D, Ogdie A, Aletaha D. Distinctions between diagnostic and classification criteria?. Arthritis Care and Research. 2015;67(7):891.
32. Mohd. Yaqub Khan, Poonam Gupta, Vikas Kumar Verma. A Review- Biomedical Engineering-Present and Future Prospective.Asian J. Pharm. Res. 3(4): Oct. - Dec.2013; Page 202-206.
33. Emery P, Breedveld FC, Dougados M, Kalden JR, Schiff MH, Smolen JS. Early referral recommendation for newly diagnosed rheumatoid arthritis: evidence based development of a clinical guide. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. 2002;61(4):290-7.
34. Aletaha D, Nell VP, Stamm T, Uffmann M, Pflugbeil S, Machold K, Smolen JS. Acute phase reactants add little to composite disease activity indices for rheumatoid arthritis: validation of a clinical activity score. Arthritis Research and Therapy. 2005;7(4):1-1.
35. Van der Heijde DM, van Riel PL, van Leeuwen MA. vant Hof MA, van Rijswijk MH, van de Putte LB. Prognostic factors for radiographic damage and physical disability in early rheumatoid arthritis. Br J Rheumatol. 1992; 8:519-26.
36. St Clair EW. Active-Controlled Study of Patients Receiving Infliximab for the Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis of Early Onset Study Group. Combination of infliximab and methotrexate therapy for early rheumatoid arthritis: randomized, controlled trial. Arthritis Rheum. 2004; 50:3432-43.
37. Smolen JS, Breedveld FC, Burmester GR, Bykerk V, Dougados M, Emery P, Kvien TK, Navarro-Compán MV, Oliver S, Schoels M, Scholte-Voshaar M. Treating rheumatoid arthritis to target: 2014 update of the recommendations of an international task force. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. 2016;75(1):3-15.
38. Studenic P, Smolen JS, Aletaha D. Near misses of ACR/EULAR criteria for remission: effects of patient global assessment in Boolean and index-based definitions. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. 2012;71(10):1702-5.
39. Felson DT, Smolen JS, Wells G, Zhang B, Van Tuyl LH, Funovits J, Aletaha D, Allaart CF, Bathon J, Bombardieri S, Brooks P. American College of Rheumatology/European League Against Rheumatism provisional definition of remission in rheumatoid arthritis for clinical trials. Arthritis and Rheumatism. 2011;63(3):573-86.
40. Bullock J, Rizvi SA, Saleh AM, Ahmed SS, Do DP, Ansari RA, Ahmed J. Rheumatoid arthritis: a brief overview of the treatment. Medical Principles and Practice. 2018;27(6):501-7.
41. Krushna K. Zambare, Avinash B. Thalkari. Overview on Pathophysiology of Pneumonia. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2019; 9(3):177-180.
42. Combe B, Landewe R, Daien CI, Hua C, Aletaha D, Álvaro-Gracia JM, Bakkers M, Brodin N, Burmester GR, Codreanu C, Conway R. 2016 update of the EULAR recommendations for the management of early arthritis. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. 2017;76(6):948-59.
43. Liu D, Ahmet A, Ward L, Krishnamoorthy P, Mandelcorn ED, Leigh R, Brown JP, Cohen A, Kim H. A practical guide to the monitoring and management of the complications of systemic corticosteroid therapy. Allergy, Asthma and Clinical Immunology. 2013;9(1):1-25.
44. Smolen JS, Landewé R, Breedveld FC, Dougados M, Emery P, Gaujoux-Viala C, Gorter S, Knevel R, Nam J, Schoels M, Aletaha D. EULAR recommendations for the management of rheumatoid arthritis with synthetic and biological disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. 2010;69(6):964-75.
45. Combe B, Landewe R, Daien CI, Hua C, Aletaha D, Álvaro-Gracia JM, Bakkers M, Brodin N, Burmester GR, Codreanu C, Conway R. 2016 update of the EULAR recommendations for the management of early arthritis. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. 2017;76(6):948-59.
46. Silva JC, Mariz HA, Rocha LF, Oliveira PS, Dantas AT, Duarte AL, Pitta ID, Galdino SL, Pitta MG. Hydroxychloroquine decreases Th17-related cytokines in systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis patients. Clinics. 2013; 68:766-71.
47. Volin MV, Harlow LA, Woods JM, Campbell PL, Amin MA, Tokuhira M, Koch AE. Treatment with sulfasalazine or sulfapyridine, but not 5‐aminosalicylic acid, inhibits basic fibroblast growth factor–induced endothelial cell chemotaxis. Arthritis and Rheumatism: Official Journal of the American College of Rheumatology. 1999;42(9):1927-35.
48. Kanchan R Pagar, Sarika V Khandbahale, Poonam M Kasar. Osteoarthritis: Pathophysiology and Current Treatment Modalities. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2019; 9(4):289-298.
49. Kumar P, Banik S. Pharmacotherapy options in rheumatoid arthritis. Clinical Medicine Insights: Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Disorders. 2013;6: CMAMD-S5558.
50. Bullock J, Rizvi SA, Saleh AM, Ahmed SS, Do DP, Ansari RA, Ahmed J. Rheumatoid arthritis: a brief overview of the treatment. Medical Principles and Practice. 2018;27(6):501-7.
51. Rein P, Mueller RB. Treatment with biologicals in rheumatoid arthritis: an overview. Rheumatology and Therapy. 2017;4(2):247-61.
52. Tovey MG, Lallemand C. Immunogenicity and other problems associated with the use of biopharmaceuticals. Therapeutic Advances in Drug Safety. 2011;2(3):113-28.
53. Halstead JA, Stoten S. Orthopedic Nursing: Caring for Patients with Musculoskeletal Disorders. Bridgewater: Western Schools. 2010.
54. Kanchan R Pagar, Sarika V Khandbahale, Poonam M Kasar. Osteoarthritis: Pathophysiology and Current Treatment Modalities. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2019; 9(4):289-298.
55. Bullock J, Rizvi SA, Saleh AM, Ahmed SS, Do DP, Ansari RA, Ahmed J. Rheumatoid arthritis: a brief overview of the treatment. Medical Principles and Practice. 2018;27(6):501-7.
56. Cooney JK, Law RJ, Matschke V, Lemmey AB, Moore JP, Ahmad Y, Jones JG, Maddison P, Thom JM. Benefits of exercise in rheumatoid arthritis. Journal of Aging Research.13;2011
57. Zitnay JL, Li Y, Qin Z, San BH, Depalle B, Reese SP, Buehler MJ, Yu SM, Weiss JA. Molecular level detection and localization of mechanical damage in collagen enabled by collagen hybridizing peptides. Nature Communications. 2017;8(1):1-2.
58. Burska AN, Roget K, Blits M, Gomez LS, Van De Loo F, Hazelwood LD, Verweij CL, Rowe A, Goulielmos GN, Van Baarsen LG, Ponchel F. Gene expression analysis in RA: towards personalized medicine. The Pharmacogenomics Journal. 2014;14(2):93-106.
59. Nakamura S, Suzuki K, Iijima H, Hata Y, Lim CR, Ishizawa Y, Kameda H, Amano K, Matsubara K, Matoba R, Takeuchi T. Identification of baseline gene expression signatures predicting therapeutic responses to three biologic agents in rheumatoid arthritis: a retrospective observational study. Arthritis Research and Therapy. 2016;18(1):1-2.
60. Gonzalez-Alvaro I, Ortiz AM, Seoane IV, Garcia-Vicuna R, Martínez C, Gomáriz RP. Biomarkers predicting a need for intensive treatment in patients with early arthritis. Current Pharmaceutical Design. 2015;21(2):170-81.
61. Feldman M, Maini RN, Williams RO, inventors; Kennedy Mathilda, Terence Institute of Rheumatology Trust, assignee. Treatment of rheumatoid arthritis with anti-CD4 antibodies in conjunction with anti-TNF antibodies. United States Patent US 5,741,488. 1998 Apr 21.
62. Dennis G, Martin F, Townsend MJ, inventors; Genentech Inc, assignee. Methods for treating, diagnosing, and monitoring rheumatoid arthritis. United States Patent US 8,728,730. 2014 May 20.
63. Cavet GL, Shen Y, Knowlton N, Centola M, inventors; Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, Crescendo Bioscience Inc, assignee. Biomarkers and methods for measuring and monitoring inflammatory disease activity. United States Patent US 9,200,324. 2015 Dec 1.
64. Stolle RJ, Beck LR, inventors; Stolle Research, Development Corp, assignee. Prevention and treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. United States Patent US 4,732,757. 1988 Mar 22.
65. Nithyashree RS, Deveswaran R. A Comprehensive Review on Rheumatoid Arthritis. Journal of Pharmaceutical Research International. 2020 Jul 27:18-32.
66. Spencer WP, Millsap PS. Esterified fatty acid composition - IMAGENETIX, INC. Freepatentsonline.com; 2009. [Online] Available:http://www.freepatentsonline.com /y2009/0252692.html (Accessed 17 December 2019)
67. Tetracycline Compounds for the Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis and Related Methods of Treatment - Patent US2010190755 - PubChem. Available:https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov /patent/US2010190755 (Accessed: 21 December 2019)
68. Google.com. WO2015177097A1 - Treatment for rheumatoid arthritis - Google Patents; 2015. [Online] Available:https://patents.google.com/paten t/WO2015177097A1/en (Accessed 17 December 2019)
69. Freepatentsonline.com. FPO IP Research and Communities; 2019. [Online] Available: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/result.html?sort=relevance&srch=top&query_txt=5908628&submit=&patents_us=o n (Accessed 17 December 2019)
70. Golini JM. Cetylated fatty acid and alkali buffered creatine anti-inflammatory composition –Golin, JeffreyM. Freepatentsonline.com; 2011. [Online] Available:http://www.freepatentsonline.co m/y2011/0039928.html (Accessed 17 December 2019)
71. Cohen R, Belder-Carr S, Hagerty D, Peach RJ, Becker JC, inventors; Bristol Myers Squibb Co, assignee. Methods for treating juvenile rheumatoid arthritis by administering a soluble CTLA4 molecule. United States patent US 8,703,718. 2014 Apr 22.
72. Dennis G, Martin F, Townsend MJ, inventors; Genentech Inc, assignee. Methods for treating, diagnosing, and monitoring rheumatoid arthritis. United States Patent US 8,728,730. 2014 May 20.
73. Ling NC, Wang SL, Wang D, Singh S, inventors; Nestec SA, assignee. Citrullinated peptides for diagnosing and prognosing rheumatoid arthritis. United States Patent US 8,519,096. 2013 Aug 27.
74. Thompson P, Blumberg H, Chandrasekher YA, Novak JE, inventors; Zymogenetics Inc, assignee. Method of treating rheumatoid arthritis using anti-IL-20 antibodies. United States Patent US 8,728,469. 2014 May 20.
75. Trentham DE, Weiner HL, Hafler DA, inventors; Autoimmune Inc, assignee. Method of treating rheumatoid arthritis with type II collagen. United States Patent US 5,399,347. 1995 Mar 21.
76. Feldman M, Maini RN, Williams RO, inventors; Kennedy Mathilda, Terence Institute of Rheumatology Trust, assignee. Treatment of rheumatoid arthritis with anti-CD4 antibodies in conjunction with anti-TNF antibodies. United States Patent US 5,741,488. 1998 Apr 21.
77. Van'tklooster GA, Namour FS, Brys RC, Van Rompaey LJ, inventors; Galapagos NV, assignee. Aminotriazolopyridine for use in the treatment of inflammation, and pharmaceutical compositions thereof. United States Patent US 9,284,311. 2016 Mar 15.
78. O'brien PM, Anderson E, Bolton GL, Ferguson DA, Jiang X, Kral Jr RM, Visnick M, inventors; Reata Pharmaceuticals Inc, assignee. Compounds Including an Anti-inflammatory Pharmacore and Methods of use. 2015 Jan 21.
79. Menet CJ, Hodges AJ, Vater HD, inventors; Galapagos NV, assignee. Compound useful for the treatment of degenerative and inflammatory diseases. United States Patent US 8,802,682. 2014 Aug 12.
80. Medich JR, Ruperto N, Martini A, Lovell DJ, Giannini EH, inventors; AbbVie Biotechnology Ltd, assignee. Uses and Compositions for Treatment of Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. United States Patent application US 14/935,991. 2016 Sep 29.
81. Huang X, Jasson M, Marks V, Radin A, Fan C, Van Hoogstraten H, Fiore S, Van Adelsberg J, Genovese M, inventors; Sanofi Biotechnology SAS, Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc, assignee. Compositions for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and methods of using same. United States Patent Application US 15/034,531. 2016 Sep 29.
82. Palombella VJ, Kutok JL, inventors; Infinity Pharmaceuticals Inc, assignee. Treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and asthma using pi3 kinase inhibitors. United States Patent Application US 13/839,912. 2014 May 1.
83. Vakkalanka SK, Viswanadha S, inventors; Rhizen Pharmaceuticals SA, assignee. Pharmaceutical compositions containing a PDE4 inhibitor and a PI3 delta or dual PI3 delta-gamma kinase inhibitor. United States Patent US 9,737,521. 2017 Aug 22.
84. Fisher E, Edwards III C, Kieft G, inventors; Amgen Inc, assignee. Nucleic acids encoding truncated soluble tumor necrosis factor. United States Patent US 7,732,587. 2010 Jun 8.
85. Menet CJ, Hodges AJ, Vater HD, inventors; Galapagos NV, assignee. Compound useful for the treatment of degenerative and inflammatory diseases. United States Patent US 8,802,682. 2014 Aug 12.
86. Schwaeble HW, Dudler T, Tedford CE, Parent JB, Demopulos GA, inventors; University of Leicester, Omeros Medical Systems Inc, assignee. Methods for treating disseminated intravascular coagulation by inhibiting MASP-2 dependent complement activation. United States Patent US 8,652,477. 2014 Feb 18.
87. Kesharwani D, Paliwal R, Satapathy T, Paul SD. Rheumatiod arthritis: An updated overview of latest therapy and drug delivery. Journal of Pharmacopuncture. 2019;22(4):210.