Sneha Mali, Sanket Rathod, Niraj Kale, Namdeo Shinde
Sneha Mali*, Sanket Rathod, Niraj Kale, Namdeo Shinde
GES’s Satara College of Pharmacy, Degaon, Satara 415004 (M.S.) India.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2022
The word or term “Nutraceutical” is a combination of two words i.e. “Nutrition” and “Pharmaceutical”. The term 'nutraceutical' was coined in 1989 by DeFelice. Basically nutraceutical is a food or part of food and it has huge historical background regarding to treatment of various disease. Nutraceuticals plays a significant role in normal physiological function, which helps to maintain human health. In recent period, all people are conscious about their daily diet as well as health. In India many people have preconception or prejudice about nutrition and health. India is a developing country. So many people of rural areas are suffering from non-communicable diseases and disorders due to lack of proper knowledge about nutrition, food and diet. The present article provides some information about “Nutraceuticals and human health. In recent years there is a growing interest in nutraceuticals has been seen in market place. This article mainly helps to provide essential knowledge of nutraceutical with its numerous uses in various ailments. This article also contains important legal requirements that are necessary for register a nutraceutical product.
Cite this article:
Sneha Mali, Sanket Rathod, Niraj Kale, Namdeo Shinde. Overview of Nutraceuticals. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2022; 12(1):61-0. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2022.00010
Sneha Mali, Sanket Rathod, Niraj Kale, Namdeo Shinde. Overview of Nutraceuticals. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2022; 12(1):61-0. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2022.00010 Available on: https://asianjpr.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-1-10
1. Rajasekaran, A., Sivagnanam, G. and Xavier, R., Nutraceuticals as therapeutic agents: A Review. J. Pharm. Sci. Technol.2008; 1.
2. A Review on Nutraceuticals: Classification and ITS Role in Various Diseases Garima Verma; International Journal of Pharmacy and Therapeutics. 2016; 7(4): 152-160
3. Jagtar Singh; Classification, Regulatory acts and Applications OF Nutraceuticals for Health; IJPBS. 2012; 2(1): 177-187
4. Krishan Kumar. Role of nutraceuticals in health and disease prevention: A review. South Asian J. Food Technol. Environ. 2015; 1(2): 116-121.
5. Chan, M. Supporting the integration and modernization of traditional medicine. Science. 2014; 346: S2.
7. Zeisel SH. Regulation of Nutraceuticals. Science. 1999; 285:185-186.
8. Bhawna Verma and Harvinder Popli. Regulations of nutraceuticals in India and us. The Pharma Innovation Journal. 2018; 7(7): 811-816
9. Palthur MP, Palthur SS, Chitta SK. Nutraceuticals: a conceptual definition. Int. J Pharmacy Pharm Sci. 2010; 2(3): 19-27
10. Sapkale Anita P. Nutraceuticals - Global status and applications: a Review. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Chemical Sciences. 2012; 1 (3).
11. Kalra, E. K., Nutraceutical-definition and introduction. AAPS Pharm. Sci. 2003; 5: 2-3.
12. Chintale Ashwini G. Role of Nutraceuticals in Various Diseases: A Comprehensive Review. IJRPC. 2013; 3(2).
15. Lipi Das, Eshani Bhaumik, Utpal Raychaudhuri and Runu Chakraborty. Role of nutraceuticals in human health. J Food Sci Technol. 2012; 49(2):173–183. DOI 10.1007/s13197-011-0269-4 https://www.crchealth.com/types-of-therapy/nutraceutical-therapy/
16. Chanda Silpi, Tiwari Raj Kumar, Arun Singh Kuldeep. Nutraceuticals Inspiring the Current Therapy for Lifestyle Diseases. Advances in Pharmacological Sciences. 2019. 1-5. 10.1155/2019/69087
17. Klatte ET, Scharre DW, Nagaraja HN, Davis RA, Beversdorf DQ. Combination therapy of donepezil and vitamin E in Alzheimer disease. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord. 2003; 17: 113-116
18. Casey, C. F., Slawson, D. C. and Neal, L. R. Vitamin D supplementation in infants, children, and adolescents. Am. Fam. 2010; 81: 745-748.
19. M. Pineiro and C. Stanton. Probiotic bacteria: legislative framework-requirements to evidence basis. The Journal of Nutrition. 2007; 137(3): 850S–853S.
20. Michail, S., Sylvester, F., Fuchs, G. and Issenma, R. Clinical efficacy of probiotics: Review of the evidence with focus on children, clinical practice guideline. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2006; 43(4)
21. Hord, N. G. Eukaryotic microbiotic crosstalk: potential mechanisms for health benefits of prebiotics and probiotics. Annu. Rev. Nutr. 2008; 28: 215–231
24. Namdeo Shinde, Bhaskar Bangar, Sunil Deshmukh, Pratik Kumbhar. Nutraceuticals: A Review on current status. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2014; 7(1): 110-113.
25. Avrelija Cencic and Walter Chingwaru. The Role of Functional Foods, Nutraceuticals, and Food Supplements in Intestinal Health; Nutrients. 2010; 2: 611-625. doi:10.3390/nu2060611
26. Elia Ranzato, Simona Martinotti, Cinzia Myriam Calabrese and Giorgio Calabrese. Role of Nutraceuticals in Cancer Therapy. Journal of Food Research. 2014; 3(4).
27. Chao J, Leung Y, Wang M, Chang RC. Nutraceuticals and Their Preventive or Potential Therapeutic Value in Parkinson's disease. Nutrition Reviews. 2012; 70 (7): 373–386.
28. Piero Portincasa, Leonilde Bonfrate, Ornella de Bari, Anthony Lembo, and Sarah Ballou. Irritable bowel syndrome and diet. Gastroenterology Report. 217; 5(1): 11–19.
29. Rathod S, Mali S, Shinde N, Aloorkar N. Cosmeceuticals and Beauty Care Products: Current trends with future prospects. Research Journal of Topical and Cosmetic Sciences. 2020;11(1): 45-51.
30. Al-Okbi, Sahar. Nutraceuticals of anti-inflammatory activity as complementary therapy for rheumatoid arthritis. Toxicology and industrial health. 2012; 30. 10.1177/0748233712462468.
31. Tewari S, Ramkrishna KS. A Review on Nutraceutical: The combination of Nutrition and Pharmaceutical. J Nutraceuticals Food Sci. 2020; 3:4
32. Howes, Melanie-Jayne. Phytochemicals as Anti-inflammatory Nutraceuticals and Phytopharmaceuticals. 2018; 10.1016/B978-0-12-805417-8.00028-7.
33. Lama, Adriano Pirozzi, Claudio Avagliano, Carmen Annunziata, Chiara Mollica, Maria Calignano, Antonio Meli, Rosaria Mattace Raso, Giuseppina. Nutraceuticals: An integrative approach to starve Parkinson’s disease. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity - Health. 2020; 2. 100037. 10.1016/j.bbih.2020.100037.
34. Hang, Liting Basil, Adeline Lim, Kah-Leong. Nutraceuticals in Parkinson’s Disease. NeuroMolecular Medicine. 2016; 18. 10.1007/s12017-016-8398-6.
35. Gao, Xiang Liu, Jingwen Li, Li Liu, Wei Sun, Meiyan. A Brief Review of Nutraceutical Ingredients in Gastrointestinal Disorders: Evidence and Suggestions. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2020; 21. 1822. 10.3390/ijms21051822.
36. Makkar, Rashita Behl, Tapan Bungau, Simona Zengin, Gokhan Mehta, Vineet Kumar, Arun Uddin, Md. Sahab Ashraf, Ghulam Abdel Daim, Mohamed Arora, Sandeep Oancea, Roxana. Nutraceuticals in Neurological Disorders. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2020; 21: 4424. 10.3390/ijms21124424.
37. Huang, M.T, Ghai, G. Ho, Chi-Tang. Inflammatory Process and Molecular Targets for Antiinflammatory Nutraceuticals. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety. 2006; 3: 127 - 139. 10.1111/j.1541-4337.2004.tb00063.x.
38. Cencic, Avrelija Chingwaru, Walter. The Role of Functional Foods, Nutraceuticals, and Food Supplements in Intestinal Health. Nutrients. 2010; 2: 611-25. 10.3390/nu2060611.
39. Parian, Alyssa Limketkai, Berkeley Shah, Neha Mullin, Gerard. (). Nutraceutical Supplements for Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Nutrition in clinical practice: official publication of the American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition. 2015; 30: 10.1177/0884533615586598.
40. Zoltani, Csaba. Nutraceuticals in Cardiovascular Diseases. 2019; 10.1007/978-3-030-04624-8_28.
41. Gupta, Bhanushree Kumar, Bhupesh Sharma, Anshuman Sori, Deeksha Sharma, Rahul Mehta, Saumya. Nutraceuticals for Antiaging. 2019. 10.1007/978-3-030-04624-8_25.
42. Roudebush, Philip Davenport, Deborah Novotny, Bruce. The use of nutraceuticals in cancer therapy. The Veterinary clinics of North America. Small Animal Practice. 2004; 34: 249-69 viii. 10.1016/j.cvsm.2003.09.001.
43. Taus, Marina Busni, Debora Petrelli, Massimiliano Nicolai, Albano. New nutritional approach to inflammatory bowel disease: The nutraceuticals. Mediterranean Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism. 2009; 145-148. 10.1007/s12349-008-0022-3.
44. Uranga, José Lopez-Miranda, Visitacion Lombó, Felipe Abalo, Raquel. Food, nutrients and nutraceuticals affecting the course of inflammatory bowel disease. Pharmacological Reports. 2016; 68. 10.1016/j.pharep.2016.05.002.
45. Larussa, Tiziana Imeneo, Maria Luzza, Francesco. Potential role of nutraceutical compounds in inflammatory bowel disease. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2017; 23. 2483-2492. 10.3748/wjg.v23.i14.2483.
46. Joshi, Vivek Alam, Shahjahan and Dimri, U. and Vinodhkumar, Obli. Veterinary Nutraceuticals: An Alternative Medicine. Indian Dairyman. 2016; 68. 90-93.
47. Taillon, C and Andreasen, A. Veterinary nutraceutical medicine. The Canadian veterinary journal. La Revue Vétérinaire Canadienne. 2000; 41. 231-4.
48. Beale, Brian. Use of nutraceuticals and chondroprotectants in osteoarthritic dogs and cats. The Veterinary clinics of North America. Small animal practice. 2004; 34. 271-89, viii. 10.1016/j.cvsm.2003.09.008.
49. Dzanis, DA. Nutraceuticals in veterinary medicine. Australian Veterinary Journal. 1999; 77. 238-9. 10.1111/j.1751-0813.1999.tb11709.x.
50. A. S. Suresh, Bhavna Pawar. A Study of Factors of Lifestyle and its impact on Nutraceutical Consumption: India Perspective. Asian Journal of Management. 2018; 9(1):203-211.
51. Sarika S. Lokhande. Role of Nutraceuticals in Various Diseases: A Comprehensive Review. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2018; 8(4): 236-240.
52. Seema Thakur, Neha Srivastava. Nutraceuticals: A Review. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2016; 6(2): 85-94.
53. Vipul Singh, Sangeeta Mahaur, Sanjay Kumar Kushwaha. Nutraceuticals: A New Golden Era in Health and Disease. Asian J. Research Chem. 2018; 11(3):652-658.
54. G. Sreeramya, C.N. Nalini, Ramalakshmi.N, Kondaviti Sahini, Amudha Lakshmi.S. A new Era in Medicine – Neutraceuticals. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(8): 3572-3576.
55. R. Arivuchudar, Tamilchudar R. An Overview on the Sway of Nutritional Supplements on Dry Eye Disease. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(10):5004-5008.
56. A Rajasekaran, G Sivagnanam, R Xavier. Nutraceuticals as therapeutic agents: A Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2008; 1(4): 171-174.
57. Kavitha PG, M Umadevi. Medicinal Properties and Pests and Diseases of Noni - A Review. Res. J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochem. 2016; 8(1): 41-48.
58. The Pharmaceutical Journal, PJ, July 2000;()::DOI:10.1211/PJ.2021.1.71102
59. Divyadharsini V. Genetically Modified Foods – A Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2014; 7(3): 392-395.
60. S. Subasree, Karthikeyan Murthykumar, Dr. Dhanraj. Effect of Aloe Vera in Oral Health – A Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2016; 9(5): 609-612.
61. M. Vaishali. Antioxidants in Health and Diseases. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2014; 7(4): 489-493.
62. Sripradha S., Karthikeyan Murthykumar, Subasree Soundarajan, Niha Naveed. Garlic, its Role in Oral Health-A Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2014; 7(6): 727-729.
63. Tandra Das.T. Role of Antioxidants in Health and Diseases-A Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2015; 8(8): 1033-1037.
64. Amina Mehrin Bano, Vishnupriya. V, Gayathri. R. Nutritional awareness among Adolescents. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2016; 9(7): 898-902.
65. K.V. Swathi. Probiotics –A Human Friendly Bacteria. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2016; 9(8):1260-1262.
66. Pal Neha, Joshi M. D. Piper nigrum: An Overview of effects on Human Health. Research J. Science and Tech. 2020; 12(4):331-337.
67. Ponnambily Chandy Jobin. The Nutritional Status, Dietary Pattern and Health Outcomes among the Adolescent Girls in the Suburban areas of Chennai. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2019; 7(2): 165-169.
68. Suby Elizabeth Oommen. Health Care System of India–A Comparison with health indicators. Res. J. Humanities and Social Sciences. 2018; 9(3): 575-579.
69. Archana A. Bele, Anubha Khale. An approach to a Nutraceutical. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2013; 6(10): 1161-1164.