The study was aimed to develop a proliposomal formulation for anti- inflammatory drug Yohimbine HCl. Proliposomes with various concentrations of mannitol, phospholipid and cholesterol were prepared using thin-film hydration technique (vacuum rotatory evaporator). The optimization of proliposomal formulation was achieved based on Average size, Entrapment efficiency and drug content. The proliposomal formulation was incorporated in the gel (carbopol) and characterized for their rheology and in vitro drug release studies. The results of formulations revealed that maximum entrapment efficiency was dependent on phospholipid and cholesterol concentration. Rheological studies revealed that the proliposome formulation containing 2% w/w carbopol is stable for topical drug delivery. The In-vitro studies revealed that proliposomal gel formulation exhibits increased skin permeation showing sustain release when compared to that of pure drug.
Cite this article:
Wajid Ahmad, Rihan Jawed. Formulation and Evaluation of Yohimbine HCl Proliposomal Gels. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2022; 12(4):302-6. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2022.00049
Wajid Ahmad, Rihan Jawed. Formulation and Evaluation of Yohimbine HCl Proliposomal Gels. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2022; 12(4):302-6. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2022.00049 Available on: https://asianjpr.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-4-8
1. Ahmed EM. Hydrogel: Preparation, characterization, and applications: A review. Journal of Advanced Research. 2015 Mar 1;6(2):105-21.
2. Bhattarai N, Gunn J, Zhang M. Chitosan-based hydrogels for controlled, localized drug delivery. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews. 2010 Jan 31;62(1):83-99.
3. Ishihara M, Obara K, Nakamura S, Fujita M, Masuoka K, Kanatani Y, Takase B, Hattori H, Morimoto Y, Ishihara M, Maehara T. Chitosan hydrogel as a drug delivery carrier to control angiogenesis. Journal of Artificial Organs. 2006 Mar;9(1):8-16.
4. Raut S, Uplanchiwar V, Bhadoria S, Gahane A, Jain SK, Patil S. Comparative evaluation of zidovudine loaded hydrogels and emulgels. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2012;5(1):41-5.
5. Obaid FN, Jaffat HS. Physiological and histological study of the effect of finasteride drug (Prostacare) on the fertility of albino male rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018;11(6):2323-5.
6. Park SY, Kim KB, Ahn SH, Kim HH. The effects of SM-215 on androgeneticalopecia. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018;11(5):1745-51.
7. Malviya VR, Pande SD, Bobade NN. Preparation and Evaluation of Sustained Release Beads of Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019;12(12):5972-6.
8. Malviya VR, Pande SD. Road CKN. Preparation ad Evaluation of Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride Lozenge. J Pharma Res. 2019;8(8):624-9.
9. Malviya V, Ladhake V, Gajbiye K, Satao J, Tawar M. Design and Characterization of Phase Transition System of Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride for Nasal Drug Delivery System. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2020 May 31;13(3):4942-51.
10. Malviya V, Pande S. Development and Evaluation of Fast dissolving Film of Fluoxetine hydrochloride. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Oct 31;14(10):5345-50.
11. Nandhakumar L, Dharmamoorthy G, Chandrasekaran S. Hydrogels: A multifaceted contemporary approaches and advancements. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011;4(11):1658-62.
12. Deepthi B, Varun D, Gopal PN, Rao CH, Sumalatha G. Super porous hydrogels–Supreme drug delivery. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011;4(8):1182-8.
13. Saranya R, Elango K, Devi DN, Balaguru A. Formulation and Evaluation of Hydrogel for Stomach Specific Drug Delivery of Lamivudine. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2013;6(7):740-5.
14. Kundu T, Mukherjee K, Biswanath S. Hydrogel beads composed of sodium carboxymethyl xanthan and sodium carboxymethyl cellulose for controlled release of aceclofenac: effect of formulation variables. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2012;5(1):103-13.
15. Saleem MA, Kulkarni RV, Patil NG. Formulation and evaluation of chitosan based polyelectrolyte complex hydrogels for extended release of metoprolol tartrate. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011;4(12):1844-51.
16. Sami AJ, Khalid M, Jamil T, Aftab S, Mangat SA, Shakoori AR, Iqbal S. Formulation of novel chitosan guargum based hydrogels for sustained drug release of paracetamol. International journal of biological macromolecules. 2018 Mar 1;108:324-32.
17. Sharma PK, Asthana GS, Asthana A. Formulation development and evaluation of hydrogel based gastroretentive drug delivery system of antihypertensive drug. Int. J. Pharm. Clin. Res. 2016;8(10):1396-401.
18. Malviya V, Thakur Y, Gudadhe SS, Tawar M. Formulation and evaluation of natural gum based fast dissolving tablet of Meclizine hydrochloride by using 3 factorial design 2. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2020;6(2):94-100.
19. Malviya V, Burange P, Thakur Y, Tawar M. Enhancement of Solubility and Dissolution Rate of Atazanavir Sulfate by Nanocrystallization. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research. 2021 Jul 1;55(3):S672-80.
20. Malviya VR, Tawar MG. Preparation and Evaluation of Oral Dispersible Strips of Teneligliptin Hydrobromide for Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2020 Jan 31;13(1):4745-52.
21. Malviya V, Manekar S. Design, Development and Evaluation of Aceclofenac and Curcumin Agglomerates by Crystallo Co-Agglomeration Technique. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Mar 18;14(3):1535-41.
22. Shoichet MS, Li RH, White ML, Winn SR. Stability of hydrogels used in cell encapsulation: An in vitro comparison of alginate and agarose. Biotechnology and Bioengineering. 1996 May 20;50(4):374-81.
23. Malviya V. Preparation and Evaluation of Emulsomes as a Drug Delivery System for Bifonazole. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research. 2021 Jan 1;55(1):86-94.
24. Malviya V. Design and Characterization of Thermosensitive Mucoadhesive Nasal Gel for Meclizine Hydrochloride. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2022 Feb 28;15(1):5782-93.