Rutuja Gaikwad, Pratiksha Dange, Prajakta Nayakal, Priyanka Ramugade, Pallavipatil
Rutuja Gaikwad*, Pratiksha Dange, Prajakta Nayakal, Priyanka Ramugade, Pallavipatil
Rajarambapu College of Pharmacy, Kasegaon, Maharashtra, India 415404.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2023
Cosmetic industry is booming in the beauty care market. New areas such as nanocosmetics and nanocosmeceuticals are emerging to grow this market. Cosmeceuticals are the cosmetic products which incorporates the biologically active ingredients which have therapeutic effects on the surface being applied. The primary goal of this review paper is to deliver a critical and comprehensive discussion on the role of nanomaterials in modern cosmetic science. This text includes an interpretation of the data underlying generic information reported on the product labels of formulations already available in the marketplace, information that often lacks details identifying specific components of the product, especially when nanomaterials are employed. It is not new news for cosmetic companies that nanotechnology is the way of the future and it is considered to be the most popular and developing technology available. For providing better and better UV protection, long lasting effects, deeper skin penetration, and increased colour and finish quality the cosmetic developers are using nanoscale versions of ingredients.
Cite this article:
Rutuja Gaikwad, Pratiksha Dange, Prajakta Nayakal, Priyanka Ramugade, Pallavipatil. Emerging Trends of Nanomaterials in Cosmeceuticals. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2023; 13(1):18-4. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2023.00003
Rutuja Gaikwad, Pratiksha Dange, Prajakta Nayakal, Priyanka Ramugade, Pallavipatil. Emerging Trends of Nanomaterials in Cosmeceuticals. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2023; 13(1):18-4. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2023.00003 Available on: https://asianjpr.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-13-1-3
1. Holland KT, Bojar RA. Cosmetics. American journal of clinical dermatology. 2002 Oct;3(7):445-9.
2. Salvioni L, Morelli L, Ochoa E, Labra M, Fiandra L, Palugan L, Prosperi D, Colombo M. The emerging role of nanotechnology in skincare. Advances in colloid and interface science. 2021 Jul 1;293:102437.
3. Bilal M, Iqbal H. New insights on unique features and role of nanostructured materials in cosmetics. Cosmetics. 2020 Jun;7(2):24.
4. Mu L, Sprando RL. Application of nanotechnology in cosmetics. Pharmaceutical research. 2010 Aug;27(8):1746-9.
5. Aziz ZA, Mohd-Nasir H, Ahmad A, Mohd. Setapar SH, Peng WL, Chuo SC, Khatoon A, Umar K, Yaqoob AA, Mohamad Ibrahim MN. Role of nanotechnology for design and development of cosmeceutical: application in makeup and skin care. Frontiers in chemistry. 2019 Nov 13;7:739.
6. Kaur IP, Agrawal R. Nanotechnology: a new paradigm in cosmeceuticals. Recent patents on drug delivery & formulation. 2007 Jun 1;1(2):171-82.
7. Shah P, Gandhi J, Kansara Y, Barve K, Gupta S. Leveraging nanotechnology in cosmeceuticals: Formulation, characterisation, regulatory status and toxicity. InNanocarriers: Drug delivery system 2021 (pp. 411-456). Springer, Singapore.
8. Raj S, Jose S, Sumod US, Sabitha M. Nanotechnology in cosmetics: Opportunities and challenges. Journal of pharmacy & bioallied sciences. 2012 Jul;4(3):186.
9. Abbasi BH, Fazal H, Ahmad N, Ali M, Giglioli-Guivarch N, Hano C. Nanomaterials for cosmeceuticals: nanomaterials-induced advancement in cosmetics, challenges, and opportunities. Nanocosmetics. 2020 Jan 1:79-108.
10. Kadam Vaishali S, Chintale Ashwini GD, Deshmukh Kshitija P, Nalwad Digambar N. Cosmeceuticals an emerging concept: A comprehensive Review. Int J Res Pharm Chem. 2013;3(2):308-16.
11. Schwartzmann J. Dermocosmetics’ industry in Brazil and Germany: a comparison of consumer preferences between these countries (Doctoral dissertation).
12. Anunciato TP, da Rocha Filho PA. Carotenoids and polyphenols in nutricosmetics, nutraceuticals, and cosmeceuticals. Journal of cosmetic dermatology. 2012 Mar;11(1):51-4.
13. Kaul S, Gulati N, Verma D, Mukherjee S, Nagaich U. Role of nanotechnology in cosmeceuticals: a review of recent advances. Journal of pharmaceutics. 2018;2018.
14. Nohynek GJ, Lademann J, Ribaud C, Roberts MS. Grey goo on the skin? Nanotechnology, cosmetic and sunscreen safety. Critical reviews in toxicology. 2007 Jan 1;37(3):251-77.
15. Lohani A, Verma A, Joshi H, Yadav N, Karki N. Nanotechnology-based cosmeceuticals. International Scholarly Research Notices. 2014;2014.
16. Mu L, Sprando RL. Application of nanotechnology in cosmetics. Pharmaceutical research. 2010 Aug;27(8):1746-9.
17. Nasir A. Nanopharmaceuticals and Nanocosmeceuticals. Cosmeceuticals and Cosmetic Practice. 2014:45.
18. Samdavid Thanapaul RJ, Paulraj MS, Roh DS. Nanobiotechnology-Based Anti-aging Products. InHandbook of Consumer Nanoproducts 2022 May 6 (pp. 1005-1029). Singapore: Springer Nature Singapore.
19. Mallakpour S, Hussain CM, Pratap Singh P. Nanocosmetics: Opportunities and Risks. Handbook of Consumer Nanoproducts. 2021:1-21.
20. Souto EB, Fernandes AR, Martins-Gomes C, Coutinho TE, Durazzo A, Lucarini M, Souto SB, Silva AM, Santini A. Nanomaterials for skin delivery of cosmeceuticals and pharmaceuticals. Applied Sciences. 2020 Feb 27;10(5):1594.
21. Alsabeelah N, Arshad MF, Hashmi S, Khan RA, Khan S. Nanocosmeceuticals for the management of ageing: Rigors and Vigors. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology. 2021 Jun 1;63:102448.
22. Dhapte-Pawar V, Kadam S, Saptarsi S, Kenjale PP. Nanocosmeceuticals: Facets and aspects. Future Science OA. 2020 Aug 6;6(10):FSO613.
23. Beck R, Guterres S, Pohlmann A, editors. Nanocosmetics and nanomedicines: new approaches for skin care. Springer Science & Business Media; 2011 Apr 6.
24. Khan BA, Mahmood T, Menaa F, Shahzad Y, Yousaf AM, Hussain T, Ray SD. New perspectives on the efficacy of gallic acid in cosmetics & nanocosmeceuticals. Current pharmaceutical design. 2018 Dec 1;24(43):5181-7.
25. Bozzuto G, Molinari A. Liposomes as nanomedical devices. International journal of nanomedicine. 2015;10:975.
26. Torchilin VP. Recent advances with liposomes as pharmaceutical carriers. Nature reviews Drug discovery. 2005 Feb;4(2):145-60.
27. Ashtiani HR, Bishe P, Lashgari NA, Nilforoushzadeh MA, Zare S. Liposomes in cosmetics. Journal of Skin and Stem Cell. 2016 Sep 23;3(3).
28. Sahin NO. Niosomes as nanocarrier systems. Nanomaterials and nanosystems for biomedical applications. 2007:67-81.
29. Pinto CS, Dos Santos EP, Mansur CR. Niosomes as nano-delivery systems in the pharmaceutical field. Critical Reviews™ in Therapeutic Drug Carrier Systems. 2016;33(2).
30. Karami Z, Hamidi M. Cubosomes: remarkable drug delivery potential. Drug discovery today. 2016 May 1;21(5):789-801.
31. Barriga HM, Holme MN, Stevens MM. Cubosomes: the next generation of smart lipid nanoparticles?. Angewandte Chemie International Edition. 2019 Mar 4;58(10):2958-78.
32. Mehnert W, Mäder K. Solid lipid nanoparticles: production, characterization and applications. Advanced drug delivery reviews. 2012 Dec 1;64:83-101.
33. Yadav N, Khatak S, Sara US. Solid lipid nanoparticles-a review. Int. J. Appl. Pharm. 2013;5(2):8-18.
34. Üner M, Yener G. Importance of solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN) in various administration routes and future perspectives. International journal of nanomedicine. 2007 Sep;2(3):289.
35. Huynh NT, Passirani C, Saulnier P, Benoît JP. Lipid nanocapsules: a new platform for nanomedicine. International journal of pharmaceutics. 2009 Sep 11;379(2):201-9.
36. Kothamasu P, Kanumur H, Ravur N, Maddu C, Parasuramrajam R, Thangavel S. Nanocapsules: the weapons for novel drug delivery systems. BioImpacts: BI. 2012;2(2):71.
37. Rao CN, Thomas PJ, Kulkarni GU. Nanocrystals. Synthesis, properties and applications. Springer, Berlin. 2007.
38. Kovalenko MV, Manna L, Cabot A, Hens Z, Talapin DV, Kagan CR, Klimov VI, Rogach AL, Reiss P, Milliron DJ, Guyot-Sionnnest P. Prospects of nanoscience with nanocrystals. ACS nano. 2015 Feb 24;9(2):1012-57.
39. Fischer M, Vögtle F. Dendrimers: from design to application—a progress report. Angewandte Chemie International Edition. 1999 Apr 1;38(7):884-905.
40. Vögtle F, Gestermann S, Hesse R, Schwierz H, Windisch B. Functional dendrimers. Progress in Polymer Science. 2000 Sep 1;25(7):987-1041.
41. Ahmed S, Ahmad M, Swami BL, Ikram S. A review on plants extract mediated synthesis of silver nanoparticles for antimicrobial applications: a green expertise. Journal of advanced research. 2016 Jan 1;7(1):17-28.
42. Gajbhiye S, Sakharwade S. Silver nanoparticles in cosmetics. Journal of Cosmetics, Dermatological Sciences and Applications. 2016 Jan 4;6(1):48-53.
43. Thamilselvi V, Radha KV. A review on the diverse application of silver nanoparticle. IOSR J. Pharm. 2017;7(01):21-7.
44. Das CA, Kumar VG, Dhas TS, Karthick V, Govindaraju K, Joselin JM, Baalamurugan J. Antibacterial activity of silver nanoparticles (biosynthesis): A short review on recent advances. Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology. 2020 Aug 1;27:101593.
45. Dresselhaus MS, Dresselhaus G, Eklund PC. Fullerenes. Journal of materials research. 1993 Aug;8(8):2054-97.
46. Curl RF, Smalley RE. Fullerenes. Scientific American. 1991 Oct 1;265(4):54-63.
47. De La Puente FL, Nierengarten JF, editors. Fullerenes: principles and applications. Royal Society of Chemistry; 2011 Oct 31.
48. Peppas NA, Hoffman AS. Hydrogels. InBiomaterials science 2020 Jan 1 (pp. 153-166). Academic Press.
49. Peppas NA, Bures P, Leobandung WS, Ichikawa H. Hydrogels in pharmaceutical formulations. European journal of pharmaceutics and biopharmaceutics. 2000 Jul 3;50(1):27-46.
50. Mason TG, Wilking JN, Meleson K, Chang CB, Graves SM. Nanoemulsions: formation, structure, and physical properties. Journal of Physics: condensed matter. 2006 Sep 29;18(41):R635.
51. Sonneville-Aubrun O, Simonnet JT, L'alloret F. Nanoemulsions: a new vehicle for skincare products. Advances in colloid and interface science. 2004 May 20;108:145-9.
52. Miljković S, Tomić M, Hut I, Pelemis S. Nanomaterials for Skin Care. InCommercialization of Nanotechnologies–A Case Study Approach 2018 (pp. 205-226). Springer, Cham.
53. Yapar Ea, Inal Ö, Yapar Ea, Yapar Öi, Inal Ö. Nanomaterials and cosmetics. Journal of Faculty of Pharmacy of Istanbul University. 2012 Jan 1;1(42 (1)):43-70.
54. Pereira-Silva M, Martins AM, Sousa-Oliveira I, Ribeiro HM, Veiga F, Marto J, Paiva-Santos AC. Nanomaterials in hair care and treatment. Acta Biomaterialia. 2022 Feb 21.
55. Rosen J, Landriscina A, Friedman AJ. Nanotechnology-based cosmetics for hair care. Cosmetics. 2015 Jul 22;2(3):211-24.
56. Moraes CA, Vieira AR. Nanomaterials for lip and nail cares applications. InNanocosmetics 2020 Jan 1 (pp. 375-389). Elsevier.
57. Shende P, Patel D, Takke A. Nanomaterial-based cosmeceuticals. InHandbook of Functionalized Nanomaterials for Industrial Applications 2020 Jan 1 (pp. 775-791). Elsevier.
58. Keller AA, Vosti W, Wang H, Lazareva A. Release of engineered nanomaterials from personal care products throughout their life cycle. Journal of nanoparticle research. 2014 Jul;16(7):1-0.
59. Fauzi MB, Smandri A, Amirrah IN, Kamaruzaman N, Salleh A, Mazlan Z, Sallehuddin N, Zulkiflee I, Jian LX, Nor FM. Nanomaterials for aging and cosmeceutical applications. InFood, Medical, and Environmental Applications of Nanomaterials 2022 Jan 1 (pp. 455-472). Elsevier.
60. Bissessur R. Nanomaterials applications. InPolymer Science and Nanotechnology 2020 Jan 1 (pp. 435-453). Elsevier.
61. Wakefield G, Green M, Lipscomb S, Flutter B. Modified titania nanomaterials for sunscreen applications–reducing free radical generation and DNA damage. Materials Science and Technology. 2004 Aug 1;20(8):985-8.
62. Nthwane YB, Tancu Y, Maity A, Thwala M. Characterisation of titanium oxide nanomaterials in sunscreens obtained by extraction and release exposure scenarios. SN Applied Sciences. 2019 Apr;1(4):1-0.
63. Zhang H, Duan H, Zhu C, Chen Z, Luo H. Mini-review on the application of nanomaterials in improving anti-aging properties of asphalt. Energy & Fuels. 2021 Jul 6;35(14):11017-36.
64. Fytianos G, Rahdar A, Kyzas GZ. Nanomaterials in cosmetics: Recent updates. Nanomaterials. 2020 May 20;10(5):979.
65. Rathod S, Mali S, Shinde N, Aloorkar N. Cosmeceuticals and Beauty Care Products: Current trends with future prospects. Research Journal of Topical and Cosmetic Sciences. 2020;11(1):45-51.
66. R. R. Shah, S. A. Mohite, N. R. Patel. Preparation and Evaluation of Polyherbal Hair Oil- An Effective Cosmetic. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2018; 8(1):36-38.
67. Kiran Patole, Anil Danane, Amit Nikam, Anuja Patil. Review on Nanotechnology and its utilization in Pharmaceuticals. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2021; 11(4):319-2.
68. Ritesh Kumar, Amit Kumar Jha and Surendra Kumar Jain. Nanomedicine: An Emerging Area of Nanotechnology. Research J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech. 2009; 1(1):18-21.
69. Sanket Rathod, Ketaki Shinde, Namdeo Shinde, Nagesh Aloorkar. Cosmeceuticals and Nanotechnology in Beauty Care Products. Research Journal of Topical and Cosmetic Sciences. 2021; 12(2):93-1.
70. Akshay R. Yadav, Shrinivas K. Mohite. Applications of Nanotechnology in Cosmeceuticals. Research J. Topical and Cosmetic Sci. 2020; 11(2):83-88.
71. Chandrasekar. R. A Comprehensive Review on Herbal Cosmetics in the Management of Skin Diseases. Research J. Topical and Cosmetic Sci. 2020; 11(1):32-44.
72. Chandrasekar. R. A Comprehensive Review on Herbal Cosmetics in the Management of Skin Diseases. Research J. Topical and Cosmetic Sci. 2020; 11(1):32-44.