Nilima Thombre, Madhura Thete, Pranali Shimpi
firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
Nilima Thombre*, Madhura Thete, Pranali Shimpi
M.E.T.’s Institute of Pharmacy, Bhujbal Knowledge City, Adgaon, Nasik-422003, Maharashtra, India.
Volume - 10,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2020
Herbal medicines are used from ancient times to treat various oral diseases or to maintain oral hygiene. The aim of this review is to study various herbs which are used in prevention of oral diseases such as dental caries, Gingivitis, Periodontitis, Mouth ulcer, Oral candidiasis. It was found that herbal medicines have several advantages as compared to synthetic formulations. Herbal drugs contain phytochemical constituent’s which possesses antimicrobial properties, antifungal properties. There is high demand for herbal drugs as they are reported to have less side effects and less toxicity when compared to synthetic drugs
Cite this article:
Nilima Thombre, Madhura Thete, Pranali Shimpi. Review on Role of Herbs in Management of Oral diseases. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2020; 10(4):321-326. doi: 10.5958/2231-5691.2020.00055.6
2) Duggal MS et al., Encyclopedia of Food Sciences and Nutrition (Second Edition), 2003
3) Selwitz Robert H DDS et al., Dental caries, the lancet 2007 6; 369 (9555):51-9.
4) Brad W, Neville DDS (2019) Periodontal Pathology, Color Atlas of Oral and Maxillofacial Diseases
5) Spanemberg J.C et al., Quality of life related to oral health and its impact in adults, Journal of Stomatology, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (2019)
6) Kumari Deepika et al., Formulation Development and Evaluation of Herbal Toothpaste for Treatment of Oral Disease, Journal of drug delivery and Therapeutics, 2019,9(4-s):98-104
7) Bhateja Sumit, Arora Geetika, Bhateja Sumit et al., Therapeutic benefits of holy basil in general and oral medicine International Journal of Research in Ayurveda and Pharmacy, 2012, 3(6)
8) Srinivas Naveen, Sali Ketki et al., Therapeutic aspects of Tulsi unraveled: A review, Journal of Indian Academy of oral medicine and radiology, 2016, Volume 28, 17-23
9) Nagarajappa, Ramesh Shankarappa Suma et al, Herbal extracts in oral health care A review of the current scenario and its future needs, Pharmacognosy Review.,2015,9(18): 87–92.
10) Sumra Naseer, Shabbir Hussan et al., (2018) The phytochemistry and medicinal value of Psidium guajava (guava) a review, Clinical Phytoscience, 2018 4:32
11) K. Ravi and P. Divyashree, Psidium guajava: A review on its potential as an adjunct in treating periodontal disease, Pharmacognosy Reviews, 2014,8(16): 96–100
12) Dhalkari Chandulal, Indurkar Maya et al., Pomegranate: Natural remedy for treating periodontal disease, International Journal of Advanced Education and Research, 2016, Volume 1; Issue 8,27-31
13) Karimi Parastoo et al, A study of antimicrobial activity of few medicinal herbs, Asian Journal of Plant Science and Research, 2012, 2 (4):496-502
14) Verma Surendra et al, Evaluation of Analgesic Activity of Syzygium Aromaticum W.S.R. To Painful Tooth, World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 2018, Volume 7, Issue 5, 827-834
15) Bhat Divya et al, To compare the effect of Triphala gel formulation and Cinnamomum gel formulation on gingivitis - A clinical study, International Journal of Applied Dental Sciences 2015; 1(4): 136-140
16) Parvez GM Masud, Pharmacological Activities of Mango (Mangifera Indica) A Review, Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, 2016, 5(3), 01-07
17) Shamkant Badgujar, Vainav Patel et al., Traditional uses, phytochemistry and pharmacology of Ficuscarica: A review, Pharmaceutical Biology, 2014,52(11): 1487–1503
18) Sidhu Preena, Shankargouda Swapnil et al, Therapeutic benefits of liquorice in dentistry, Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine, 2018 Volume 11, Issue 1, 82-88
19) Bharwani Ashit G. and A. Suchetha et al, Efficacy of a commercially available Multi herbal formulation in periodontal therapy Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology, 2013, Volume 17, Issue 2
20) Torwane Nilesh and Hongal Sudhir et al, Role of Ayurveda in management of oral health Pharmacognosy Reviews,2014, Vol 8, Issue 15,2014
21) Madan Suman, Kashyap Seema et al, Amla: A boon for periodontal health Journal of Emerging Technologies and Innovative Research 2019, Volume 6, Issue 5
22) Deswal Himanshu, Singh Yogender et al, Therapeutic effects of amla in medicine and dentistry: A review Journal of Oral Research and Review, 2015, Vol. 7, Issue 2
23) M.B.A. Gloria, Encyclopedia of Food Sciences and Nutrition, 2003 (Second Edition)
24) Sharma Anil et al, Herbal Formulation against Dental Caries Causing Microorganisms Using Extracts of Stevia Rebaudiana Leaves (A Natural Sweetener), The Natural Products Journal, 2016, 6, 126-133.