Hyperlipidemia is characterized by elevated levels of lipids that can be caused by a variety of genetic or acquired disorders. In adults, hyperlipidemia has been shown to be a major risk factor in developing CVD. Currently statins, Bile Acid Sequestrants (Resins), Cholesterol Absorption Inhibitors, Fibric Acids, Nicotinic Acid, Omega-3 Fatty Acids are used for the treatment of hyperlipidemia. Statins (3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase inhibitors) are the first-line drugs for the treatment of hyperlipidemia by helping to decrease LDL-C and TG levels and increase HDL-C levels in familial and severe hypercholesterolemia. Statins were found to be associated with muscular adverse effects cover a wide range of symptoms, including asymptomatic increase of creatine kinase serum activity and life-threatening rhabdomyolysis Bempedoic acid is a novel lipid-lowering drug with a unique mechanism of action. This article includes a brief review for the Bempedoic acid used in the treatment of hyperlipidaemia.
Cite this article:
Rahul D. Shimpi, Shashikant D. Barhate, Mayur S. Jain. Bempedoic acid a novel drug used for the treatment of Hyperlipidaemia: A Review. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2023; 13(1):68-0. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2023.00013
Rahul D. Shimpi, Shashikant D. Barhate, Mayur S. Jain. Bempedoic acid a novel drug used for the treatment of Hyperlipidaemia: A Review. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2023; 13(1):68-0. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2023.00013 Available on: https://asianjpr.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-13-1-13
1. Amit G, Vandana S, Sidharth M. Hyperlipidemia: An Updated Review. Inter J of Biopharma & Toxicol Res; 2011, 1:81-89.
2. Rajeev Gupta, Ravinder S. Rao, AnoopMisra, Samin K Sharma. Recent trends in epidemiology of dyslipidemias in India. Indian Heart Journal 69, 2017, 382–392.
3. Koo BK. Statin for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in patients with diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Metab J, 2014, 38:32-4.
4. Ridker PM. LDL cholesterol: controversies and future thera¬peutic directions. Lancet 2014; 384:607-17.
5. Dirk Moßhammer, ElkeSchaeffeler, Matthias Schwab &Klaus Mörike, Mechanisms and assessmentof statin-related muscularadverse effects. British Journal of ClinicalPharmacology. 78:3, 2014, 454-466
6. Anthony Markham, Bempedoic Acid: First Approval, Drugs. 80(7), 2020, 747-753.
7. Nexletol. Package insert. Esperion Therapeutics, Inc; 2020. Revised February 2020. Accessed April 11, 2020. https:// www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2020/211616s 000lbl.pdf
8. Christine M. Roche, b Harvey W. Blanch, et al. Physiological Role of Acyl Coenzyme A Synthetase Homologs in Lipid Metabolism in Neurosporacrassa. Eukaryotic Cell, Volume 12 Number 9. 2013, 1244 –1257.
9. Lemus HN, Mendivil CO. 2015 Adenosine triphosphate citrate lyase: Emerging target in the treatment of dyslipidemia. J ClinLipidol. (3), 2015, 384-9
10. Barter PJ, Rye KA. (2016) New Era of Lipid-Lowering Drugs. Pharmacol Rev. 68(2), 2016, 458-5.
11. Bempedoic acid: Clinical study protocol 1002-048, a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel group, multicenter study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of bempedoic acid (etc-1002) 180 mg/day as add-on to ezetimibe therapy in patients with elevated LDL-C on low dose or less than low dose statins. Esperion Therapeutics, Inc, Amendment 2, 10 February 2017
12. Nguyen D, Du N, Sulaica EM, Wanat MA. A review of bempedoic acid: a new drug for an old problem. Ann Pharmacother. 2020, 55:1060028020941083
13. U. S. Food and Drug Administration. NEXLETOL (bempedoic acid) tablets, for oral use. (cited 2020March 20). Available from. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2020/211616s000lbl.pdf
14. Nilemdo. Summary of product characteristics. last updated 28 Jan 2021,, www.ema.europa.eu/en/medicines/human/EPAR/nilemdo
15. Ray KK, Bays HE, Catapano AL, et al. Safety and efficacy of bempedoic acid to reduce LDL cholesterol. N Engl J Med.;380(11), 2019, 1022–32
16. Ballantyne CM, Laufs U, Ray KK, et al. Bempedoic acid plus ezetimibe fixed-dose combination in patients with hypercholesterolemia and high CVD risk treated with maximally tolerated statin therapy. Eur J PrevCardiol. 2019:2047487319864671
17. Esperion Therapeutics Inc. NEXLETOL (bempedoic acid): US prescribing information. 2020. https://www.acces sdata.fda.gov/drugs atfda docs/label /2020/21161 6s000 lbl.pdf. Accessed 24 Feb2020.
18. Anthony Markham, Bempedoic Acid: First Approval, ADISINSIGHT REPORT, Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020