UPLC/Q-TOF-MS (Ultra-performance liquid chromatographic/quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometric) technique has been applied for identification and characterization of degradation products of Valsartan. For identification of drugs, the Q-TOF mass spectrometer was operated in negative ionization mode and quantification was done using the MS/MS transitions at m/z 434.50 to 255.50. The chromatographic separation was achieved on Acquity UPLCTM BEH C18 (100.0 × 2.1 mm, 1.7µm) column using isocratic mobile phase consisting of acetonitrile-2mM ammonium acetate (50:50, v/v) at a flow rate of 0.25 mL/min. Drug was degraded when treated with acid, alkali and oxidative stress conditions but found stable in photolytic condition. Degradation products were identified and possible degradation mechanisms were established.
Cite this article:
Hamid Khan. Identification and Characterization of Degradation Products of Valsartan by UPLC/Q-TOF-MS Technique. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2021; 11(1):1-5. doi: 10.5958/2231-5691.2021.00001.0
1. The Merck Index an Encyclopedia of chemicals. Drugs and biological. Merck Research Laboratories, Whitehouse station. 13th Edition, New Jersey, 2001, pp. 1705.
2. Plumb R, Castro-Perez J, Granger J, Beattie I, Joncour K, Wright A. Ultra performance liquid chromatography coupled to quadrupole-orthogonal time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Rapid Communication in Mass Spectrometry, 2004; 18(19):2331-2337.
3. Khan H, Ali J. UHPLC/Q-TOF-MS: Introduction and Applications. Letters in Organic Chemistry, 2015; 12(6):371-378.
4. Khan H, Ali M, Ahuja A, Ali J. Validated UPLC/Q-TOF-MS Method for Simultaneous Determination of Telmisartan and Hydrochlorothiazide in Human Plasma. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 2016; 9(9):1441-1446.
5. Khan H, Ali M, Ahuja A, Ali J. Validated UPLC/Q-TOF-MS Method for Simultaneous Determination of Metformin, Glimepiride and Pioglitazone in Human Plasma and its Application to Pharmacokinetic Study. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 2017; 7(1): 27-32.
6. Khan H, Ali M, Ahuja A, Ali J, Validated UPLC/Q-TOF-MS Method for Simultaneous Determination of Aceclofenac, Paracetamol and Chlorzoxazone in Human Plasma and its Application to Pharmacokinetic Study. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis, 2017; 7(2): 93-99.
7. Khan H, Analytical Method Development in Pharmaceutical Research: Steps Involved in HPLC Method Development. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 2017; 7(3): 203-207.
8. Hamid Khan, Mushir Ali, Alka Ahuja and Javed Ali, Validated HPLC-UV Method for Simultaneous Determination of Some Anti-Inflammatory and Analgesic Drugs. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis, 2016; 6(3):183-187.
9. Khan H, Ali J. Fixed Dose Combination (FDC) Products: Introduction, Development and Regulations. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage form and Technology, 2016; 8(3):207-210.
10. Khan H, Ali J. UHPLC: Applications in Pharmaceutical Analysis. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis, 2017; 7(2):124-131.
11. Khan H, Ali M, Ahuja A, Ali J. Application of Validated HPTLC method for dissolution study of FDC tablets containing Telmisartan and Hydrochlorothiazide. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 2017; 10(4):1149-1154.
12. Khan H, UHPLC-PDA Method for Simultaneous Determination of Sartans Antihypertensive Drugs, Asian Journal Pharmaceutical Analysis, 2020; 10(1):7-10.
13. Khan H, Ali J. Identification of Impurities and Degradation Products in Pharmaceutical Products- Role of Hyphenated Techniques. Asian J. Pharmaceutical Analysis, 2017; 7(1): 31-35.
14. Khan H, Ali M, Ahuja A, Ali J. Stability testing of pharmaceutical products: Comparison of stability testing guidelines. Current Pharmaceutical Analysis, 2010; 6(2):140-148.
15. International Conference on Harmonization, ICH Q1A (R2), Stability Testing of New Drug Substances and Products, Geneva, 2003.
16. Singh S, Bakshi M. Development of stability-indicating assay methods. Journal of Pharmaceutical Biomedical Analysis, 2002; 28(6):1011-1040.
17. Singh S, Bakshi M. Guidance on conduct of stress tests to determine inherent stability of drugs. Pharmaceutical Technology, 2000; 24:1-14.
18. Reynolds DW. Available guidance and best practices for conducting forced degradation studies. Pharmaceutical Technology, 2002; 26(2):48-56.
19. Alsante KM, Martin L, Baertschi SW. A stress testing benchmarking study. Pharmaceutical Technology, 2003; 27(2):60-72.
20. Rourick RA, Volk KJ, Klohr SE, Kerns EH, Lee MS. Predictive strategy for the rapid structure elucidation of drug degradants. J Pharm Biomedical Analysis, 1996; 14(12):1743-1752.
21. Pan CK, Guan J, Lin MA. Multidisciplinary approach to identify a degradation product in a pharmaceutical dosage form. J Pharm Biomed Analysis, 2011; 54(4):855-859.
22. Kailash TN, Sachin TR, Manisha JB. Development and Validation of UV-Spectrophotometric Methods for Estimation of Valsartan in Bulk and Tablet Dosage Form. J Pharm Research, 2012; 5: 2344-2346.
23. Krishnaiah A, Reddy R, Kumar R, Mukkanti K. Stability-indicating UPLC method for determination of valsartan and their degradation products in active pharmaceutical ingredient and pharmaceutical dosage forms. J Pharm Biomed Anal, 2010; 53(3): 483-489.
24. Julio TA, Zamara IF, Garcia JS, Trevisan MG. Compatibility and stability of Valsartan in a solid pharmaceutical formulation. Braz J Pharm Sci, 2013; 49(4):645-651.
25. Sudesh BM, Uttam KS. Determination and validation of Valsartan and its degradation Products by isocratic HPLC. J Chemical Metrology, 2009; 3(1):1-12
26. Bianchini RM, Castellano PM, Kaufman TS. Characterization of two new potential impurities of Valsartan obtained under photodegradation stress condition. J Pharm Biomed Analysis, 2011; 56(1):16-22.
27. Pires SA, Mota LM, Garcia JS, Amaral PH, Meurer EC, Eberlin MN, Trevisan MG. LC-MS characterization of Valsartan degradation products and comparison with LC-PDA, Brazilian J Pharm Science, 2015; 51(4):840-845.
28. Mehta S, Shah RP, Singh S. Strategy for identification and characterization of small quantities of drug degradation products using LC and LC-MS: application to valsartan, a model drug. Drug Test Analysis, 2010; 2(2):82-90
29. Koseki N, Kawashita H, Hara H, Nina M, Tanaka M, Kawai R, Nagae Y, Masuda N. Development and validation of a method for quantitative determination of Valsartan in human plasma by liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry. J Pharm Biomed Analysis, 2007; 43:1769-1774.
30. Fei L, Zhang J, Xu Y, Gao S, Guo Q. Simultaneous determination of Valsartan and hydrochorothiazide in human plasma by LC-Tandem mass spectrometry. Analytical Letters, 2008; 41(8):1348-1365.
31. Li H, Wang Y, Jiang Y, Tang Y, Wang J, Zhao L, Gu J. A liquid chromatography/ tandem mass spectrometry method for simultaneous quantification of Valsartan and hydrochlorothiazide in human plasma. J Chromatography B, 2007; 852(1-2): 436-442.
32. Shah HJ, Kataria NB, Subbaiah G, Patel CN. Simultaneous LC-MS-MS Analysis of Valsartan and Hydrochlorothiazide in Human Plasma. Chromatographia, 2009; 69(9-10):1055-1060.
33. Khan H. Validated UPLC/Q-TOF-MS Method for Simultaneous Determination of Valsartan and Hydrochlorothiazide in Human Plasma and its Application to Pharmacokinetic Study. European J Biomed Pharm Sci, 2019; 6(12):322-326.
34. International Conference on Harmonization, ICH Q2 (R1), Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and methodology, Geneva, 2005.