Swapna. A. S, Vishnu M V, Irene V R, Meera T R, Farsana A, Melba Paulson, Joona E
Swapna. A. S*, Vishnu M V, Irene V R, Meera T R, Farsana A, Melba Paulson, Joona E
Sanjo College of Pharmaceutical Studies, Chithali Post, Vellapara, Palakkad, Kerala- 678702.
Volume - 11,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2021
Nowadays synthetic indicators are the choice of acid - base titrations. But due to environmental pollution, cost and availability, the search for natural compounds as an acid - base indicator was started. The present study was designed to evaluate the juice extracted from flower petals of Allamanda blanchetii (Family: Apocyanaceae) as a titration indicator. A comparative study of Allamanda blanchetii flower juice, a natural indicator, with synthetic indicators like phenolphthalein, methyl orange and neutral red – methylene blue mixed indicators were carried out to evaluate the accuracy of the water extract of the flower as an acid base indicator. Promising results were obtained for Allamanda blanchetii flower extract when compared against standard synthetic indicators. Titration shows sharp colour change at the equivalence point. The equivalence points obtained by the flower extract coincide with the equivalence point obtained by standard indicators. This natural indicator is found to be very useful, economical, simple and accurate for acid base titrations. According to all the evidence obtained after titrimetric analysis, the water extract of the flower shows effective and accurate results as that of synthetic indicators in acid base titrations. The advantage of using natural indicators in titrations is that, they can be prepared freshly and they are economical and ecofriendly.
Cite this article:
Swapna. A. S, Vishnu M V, Irene V R, Meera T R, Farsana A, Melba Paulson, Joona E. Allamanda blanchetii flower extract as an improvised indicator in acid base Titration. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2021; 11(1):6-8. doi: 10.5958/2231-5691.2021.00002.2
1. Sarita Kadam, Adhik Rao Yadav, Vijay Raje and Karishma Waghmare. Comparative study of natural and synthetic indicators. Der Pharma Chemica, 2013, 5(1):296-299.
2. Harshal Chavan, Prutha Shirodkar, A. S. Dhake, Dr. A.G. Jadhav. Natural indicators as alternative to synthetic acid base indicators. Indo American Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 2017; 4 (11): 4078-4082.
3. A.A. Napoleon, Pharmaceutical Analysis Theory and Practical, Kalaimani publishers and Distributors, Tamilnadu, 2012.
4. Indian Pharmacopoeia, 1996, Vol-II, 4th edition, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India, Controller of Publication, New Delhi, Pages A-147, A-149, A-169 & A-192.
5. E. Vadivel, Shubham D. Chipkar. Eco-friendly natural acid-base indicator properties of four flowering plants from Western Ghats. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2016; 8(6): 250-252.
6. Shivaji H. Burungale and Ankush V. Mali. Natural indicator as a eco-friendly in acid base titration. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, 2014; 6(5):901-903.
7. Bahadori A and Maroufi N G. Volumetric Acid-Base Titration by using of Natural Indicators and Effects of Solvent and Temperature. Austin Chromatography 2016; 3(1): 1041.
8. Sarita Kadam, Adhikrao Yadav, Vijay Raje and Karishma Waghmare. Comparative study of natural and synthetic indicators. Der Pharma Chemica, 2013, 5(1):296-299.
9. Chinmoy Paul, Debarupa D. Chakraborty, Amitava Ghosh, Prithviraj Chakraborty. Natural Indicator as a substitute to Synthetic indicator-A Developmental Approach. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science 2014; 4 (09): 120-122.
10. Pokharna Gaura, Jain Naveen Kuma, Nalwaya Narendra, Chatap V. K. Bougainvillea glabra–A Natural Indicator. Pharmacognosy Journal 2010; 2(5): 25-28.
11. Stanley I. R. Okoduwa, Lovina O. Mbora, Matthew E. Adu, and Ameh A. Adeyi. Comparative Analysis of the Properties of Acid-Base Indicator of Rose (Rosa setigera), Allamanda (Allamanda cathartica), and Hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis) Flowers. Biochemistry Research International 2015; 1-4.
12. Manoj A. Suva. Opuntia ficus indica (L.) Fruit Extract as Natural Indicator in Acid-Base Titration. Jouirnal of PharmaSciTech 2014; 3(2): 85-87.
13. Sudarshan Singh, S. B. Bothara and Sangeeta Singh. Acid-Base Indicator Properties of Dyes from Local Flowers: Cassia aungostifolia Linn., Thevetia peruviana (Pers.) K. Schum and Thevetia thvetiodes (Kunth) K. Schum. Pharmacognosy Journal 2011; 3(19): 35-39.
14. Tukiran and Andika Pramudya Wardana. Thunbergia erecta L. Flower as an alternative acid-base Natural Indicators. Rasayan Journal of Chemistry 2018; 11(2): 773-779.
15. Daniel A. Abugri, Ohene B. Apea and Gregory Pritchett. Investigation of a Simple and Cheap Source of a Natural Indicator for Acid-Base Titration: Effects of Synthesis and Conditions on Natural Indicators. Green and Sustainable Chemistry 2012; 2: 117-122.
16. Lavanya D, Guna shekhar G, Purushothom A and Pallavi A. Green Chemistry: A study on acid-base indicator property of various flower pigments. International Journal of Research and Development in Pharmacy and Life Sciences 2018; 6(6): 3155-3163.
17. Daniel A. Abugri, Ohene B. Apea, Gregory Pritchet. Investigation of a Simple and Cheap Source of a Natural Indicator for Acid-Base Titration Effects of System Conditions on Natural Indicators. Green and Sustainable Chemistry, 2012; 2: 117-122.
18. Yogini Bambardekar, Neena Anand, Chirag Gawali and Umesh Varade. Green alternative to Synthetic indicator in acid-base Titrations. Research Journal of Chemical and Environmental Sciences 2015; 3(6): 64-65.
19. P. V. Pavar, P. H. Sharma, P. R. Onkar and J. G. Avari. Beetroot (Beta vulgaris) herbal alternative to synthetic acid base indicator use in titrimetric analysis, Journal of Biochemistry & Pharmacology 2013; 2:4.
20. Garg S, Garg A, Shukla P, Mathew J, Viswakarma D, Sen S. Investigation of plant source of natural indicator of acid-base titration to reduce the use of harmful chemicals in some extent. International Journal of Biology, Pharmacy and allied sciences 2018; 7(1): 64-70.
21. Berhane Alexander, Ahmed Imran, Sahle Tewelde, Hiya Ahmedin, Asgedom Ghebray and Chand Roop. Studies of Eco- friendly natural acid-base pH indicators properties of two flowering plants from Adi-Nifas and Mai-Nefhi Eritrea. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2018; 7(5): 1817-1822.
22. Rohit M. Jamdar, Mayur N. Ghotkar, Rohit R. Mahajan, Ranjit S. Jadhav, Ganesh B. Vambhurkar and Pravin P. Honmane. Bauhinia racemosa as Natural pH Indicator. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis 2019; 9(2); 89-92.
23. Pramod Kumar Jain, Pushpa Jain and Prajvi Jain Green chemistry: Petal sap of Delonix regia as a substitute for hazardous internal indicators in volumetric analysis, Bioscience Biotechnology Reasearch Communications 2019; 6(2): 186-189.
24. R. L. Jadhav, N. S. Mahajan, N. V. Pimpodkar and C. S. A. Magdum. Use of Eugenia jambolana fruit extract as a natural indicator in acid base titration. International Journal of Chemical Science 2008; 6(2): 637-642.