Sunil R Bavaskar, Mayur R. Bhurat
Mr. Sunil R Bavaskar1*, Mr. Mayur R. Bhurat2
1HOD. D. Pharm Shri. Prakashchand Jain College of Pharmacy and Research, Palaskhede, Jamner, Maharashtra (India).
2(I/C Principal) Shri. Prakashchand Jain College of Pharmacy and Research, Palaskhede, Jamner, Maharashtra (India).
Volume - 11,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2021
Flortaucipir F-18, also known as 18F-T807 and 18F-AV-1451, is a small indole molecule synthesized with a radioactive fluorine isotope. It is used as a marker in positron emission tomography (PET) imaging of patients suspected of having Alzheimer's disease. After crossing the blood-brain barrier, flortaucipir F-18 binds to aggregated tau protein, a hallmark of Alzheimer's disease whose incidence correlates well with disease progression. Although flortaucipir F-18 displays low levels of background binding throughout the brain, it does display off-target binding to monoamine oxidase MAO-A and MAO-B, as well as to regions containing high levels of melanin, neuromelanin, and iron It was approved by the FDA on May 28, 2020, for sale by Avid Radiopharmaceuticals under the name TAUVID™ and is the first FDA-approved molecule for imaging aggregated tau protein in the brain[1,2,3]
Cite this article:
Sunil R Bavaskar, Mayur R. Bhurat. Flortaucipir (18F) is a Radioactive diagnostic agent indicated for use with positron emission tomography (PET) imaging to image the brain: A Review. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2021; 11(1):60-62. doi: 10.5958/2231-5691.2021.00012.5
1. www, drug bank.com
2. "FDA Approves First Drug to Image Tau Pathology in Patients Being Evaluated for Alzheimer's Disease". U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). 28 May 2020. Retrieved 28 May 2020. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
3. Tauvid (flortaucipir F 18 injection), for intravenous use" (PDF). U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Retrieved 29 May 2020.
4. Drug Trial Snapshot: Tauvid". U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). 28 May 2020. Retrieved 10 June 2020.
5. "Lilly Receives U.S. FDA Approval of TAUVID (flortaucipir F 18 injection) for Use in Patients Being Evaluated for Alzheimer's Disease". Eli Lilly (Press release). 28 May 2020. Retrieved 28 May 2020 – via PR Newswire.
6. Tauvid: FDA-Approved Drugs". U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Retrieved 29 May 2020.
7. Wang YT, Edison P: Tau Imaging in Neurodegenerative Diseases Using Positron Emission Tomography. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2019 Jun 6;19(7):45. doi: 10.1007/s11910-019-0962-7. [PubMed:31172290].
8. Vermeiren C, Motte P, Viot D, Mairet-Coello G, Courade JP, Citron M, Mercier J, Hannestad J, Gillard M: The tau positron-emission tomography tracer AV-1451 binds with similar affinities to tau fibrils and monoamine oxidases. Mov Disord. 2018 Feb;33(2):273-281. doi: 10.1002/mds.27271. Epub 2017 Dec 26. [PubMed:29278274].